Friday, November 21, 2014

What's a Lizard Catfish?

Last night, I fed my 3 experimental subject fish. From the exhibited behavior, I can see all 3 being able to provide good data and even learn "tricks"! The featherfin catfish knows what type of food it eats; when I shook a container of turtle food in front of it, it barely reacted, but when I shook the container of cichlid pellets, it swam forward expecting its rations, proving it's capable of discerning shape and color, but this, along with the reports on the other two fish, aren't controlled and are only anecdotal. My convict cichlid followed my finger as I ran it across his glass enclosure, and begged when both the fish food and turtle food were offered. However, I want to see if it distinguishes between color and shape. The sunfish hybrid saw me
get his meal of dead crickets ready from across the room, without me giving any signal to associate with food. I determined he realized my actions by his frantic back-and-forth begging behavior compared to his typical placid hovering under plant cover.
   Today, however, I went on PetSmart's website to find more fish I could conduct research on. For the most part, all the fish of modest size are known to be easy to keep and breed, with a wealth of known information about them, while the fish of interest grow entirely too large for the modest accommodations I intend to give them. One fish, however, caught my eye: the lizard catfish. The store says, "The precise origin of the Lizard Catfish is a mystery. It may possibly be a natural species, but most sources believe it is a man-made hybrid from one or more other Rineloricaria species, but which exactly is also unknown. Only at PetSmart," The store's website provided an image of a loach, instead of a Rineloricaria catfish, and Google didn't provide much info. I live near a PetSmart, so the task falls on me to buy a couple and provide more information, like "Is it even a catfish?", "What are its habits?", "Where does it come from?"

No comments:

Post a Comment