Friday, February 27, 2015

Today I continued my search for judges. I just found out I can use Skype to communicate through the final presentation, so I can potentially use people from faraway places. This makes looking for judges much easier, so I probably will contact the ichthyologists that my adviser had recommended me to contact. I also realized a massive oversight in not having voice-recording software on my phone. This has been rectified, so now I can begin recording the script for the kuhli film. The script for my second video, final presentation, and final paper will be worked on next month. Ditto fish learning, as other things like scholarships and homework, as well as my own laziness, has prevented me from collecting decent data.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

I finally emailed my advisor today. I sent her all the documents I've produced so far. There has been more active swimming from the kuhli loaches, but I haven't been able to go into too much detail in observation this week. Ditto the fish learning , because I only have two days' worth of data from that. I will not give up on that, because I promised that I will be able to do the fish learning experiment and not give up on it like previous ideas. Only one judge is lined up for More Than Swimming Drones currently, and I still need two more.I need this to be done by March, giving me about 10 days to do this.   

Monday, February 16, 2015

Today I posted more things to the Instagram page. I got a comment about the type of carp I pictured in one of the fun facts saying I was wrong, but I cleared the air with the commenter. This week I will continue by search for judges and e-mail my advisor.

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Today I found more facts to post on More Than Swimming Drones. They'll probably be uploaded tonight, time permitting. Since the first day of posting ,I haven't uploaded anything, reducing the effectiveness of the page. My loaches seem to be increasing somewhat in girth, making a spawning more likely before this project ends. However, it's not guaranteed the fish will spawn, and the video about the fish will not mention spawning unless it occurs.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Today I finished transferring the kuhli loach script and found more fun facts. To condition the loaches for breeding, I have started to feed them more. All five fish seem to be healthy, but one is oddly thin and has a transparent underside. Fish training has also restarted, and the fish are all noticing the stimulus. My second video will be heavily based on my final report. The script will literally be a simplified version of it. I still have only one judge, so I need to find a couple more soon.

Friday, February 6, 2015

  Today I started the Instagram page. It's called More than Just Swimming Drones, which is also this thesis project's new name. I also drew an anatomical picture for the kuhli loach film. Yesterday, I recorded more video for the film as well. Fish training hasn't restarted yet, though. I haven't had much time at home.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Today I will start the fish training. I have three bettas I can use for it, as well as a bumblebee cichlid and a green sunfish. The first batch of fish facts has pictures attached and is practically ready to be released. However, I still need a new name for this project. I can't go around calling this "my thesis project" much longer and the pictures can't be released without a name to put them under. A name would also make pitching this project to potential judges much easier.

Monday, February 2, 2015

Today I continued my search for judges. I looked at the Texas Stream Team, both Dallas aquariums, Texas Parks and Wildlife, and the Boutique Fish Shop. None of these places had any individual contacts, so I have to look harder or look elsewhere. I also typed up the fish facts so they'd have a more permanent place. They will be released this week under a new Instagram account. This month also starts the attempt at actually spawning the loaches and restarting of the fish training.