Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Thesis Topic Change

    Earlier last week I decided to change my thesis topic from finding a family for the enigmatic catfish Conorhynchos conirostris to a freshwater diversity advocacy group. I still need to narrow down and finalize what exactly I'm doing, though. I changed my topic because of possible issues with finding sources, and the relative obscurity of the fish. Few pictures of it are online, and little information aside from its size and possible familial relationships are known. Furthermore, I wouldn't know where to source a specimen, so I can't really make observations accurately.
    I chose this current topic because I still wanted to do something with fish, and many freshwater environments containing thousands of unique species are endangered by pollution and habitat loss. Also, freshwater creatures are not really noticed by the media and general public, who'd rather pay attention and donate to funds protecting large and/or cute mammals and birds. If I write well and draw interesting conclusions, maybe some people would start to care.

No comments:

Post a Comment