Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Target Sighted!

Recently, I found out when the first deadlines were; an annotated bibliography due October 3rd and an actual presentation on the 8th. I'm confident I can meet these deadlines with a good project.
Today and yesterday, I also waded through many sources. The time I spent searching, as well as a source given to me by Mrs.
Marchio, makes this post come a day late.


Conservation Fisheries
conservationfisheries.org
An organization based in the Southeast US focusing on breeding fish. They breed fish to keep populations alive and restore depleted ones. It checks the populations using non-invasive methods, as many ways of surveying fish disturb or hurt the fish. Many large conservation groups, like the WWF, support Conservation Fisheries.


A Department of Maryland Wildlife survey
It's very long and filled with data. It talks about the Maryland public's opinion on fishery and conservation matters. My first source really dealing with humans. Since I'm posting from a phone, I'll give more detail tomorrow.


Boosting Public Awareness of Fish


A flyer posted in 2001. The date's significant because it's before Finding Nemo, a movie that boosted awareness of marine fish significantly for a while. This flyer argues people don't consider fish as animals worthy of respect, and only a source of food in rivers and oceans.


The Aquarium Hobby: Can Sinners become saints in freshwater fish conservation?


Mrs. Marchio sent me this source. It asked a few of the questions concerning this thesis: namely should aquarists be involved in freshwater fish conservation? The article then goes into detail involving unsuitable and nonnative species kept by aquarists, as well as conservation efforts that saved some cyprinodontiform fish from extinction, like Ameca splendens.

No comments:

Post a Comment