Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Now It's Fish Time!

   Since the survey was released to the juniors and seniors of TAG, I got 53 results. This is almost half of all the people I sent it to! I intend to send it to more people outside of the school. Now I want to go into in-depth analysis of each question.

1. Goldfish can survive in a bowl.
  I chose this question because this is one of the most basic rules of fishkeeping: never keep goldfish, or any fish for that matter, in a bowl. Their waste products quickly pile up, and they have almost no room to grow. This kills them prematurely.
  Out of  53 people, 35 have a positive (agree or strongly agree) position on the question. Most of the respondents who answered like this have dead fish, from one cause or another. The 8 negative responses are either non-or former fish owners, and they mention their fish die after improper care or some accident.
2. Name 5 freshwater ornamental fish.
  I wanted to know which species of fish were well-known among the TAG juniors and seniors who bother to answer the survey. Unsurprisingly, everyone knew what a goldfish was. Bettas (though often misspelled) were pretty common sights, because of their ease of care and bright colors. I was surprised by the prevalence of angelfish (don't see many in person) Catfish were the group to have the most specific species named, as featherfin , emerald, and plecostomus showed up at least once. However, there was a common trend of people not distinguishing among freshwater and marine fish, as clownfish and regal tang "Dory" showed up many times.  Non-fish species, like jellyfish and crabs, even showed up a few times.

Because I was also looking at college stuff, I'll add more results Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment