Tuesday, November 25, 2014

A somewhat biased early impression of learning in fish

  Yesterday I actually started training my fish to come to an orange square for food. I will use this stimulus until all the fish associate it with food. Then I will display other stimuli and see if the fish respond. Since all the fish responded instantly, I'll measure the amount of time taken to go to place of feeding. I need numerical values.
  The featherfinned catfish arrested its motion instantly upon presentation of the stimulus, raising its dorsal fin slightly. This is a "sudden stimulus posture" I've observed upon presentation with various objects in the past.
  The convict cichlid followed the square when presented with it, but did not swim to the top where food is presented.
  The sunfish hybrid started begging when I opened the can of fish food. I need to hide that stimulus from now on. It seemed to have no response when presented with the square.
  Today I sent in my college essays for review and completed more of the ApplyTexas application. I expect to finish by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment